SELBY STORMS INTO GRASSHOPPER CUP QUARTERS

Discussions about Squash tournaments - current tournaments, running them, how to manage them etc., etc.

SELBY STORMS INTO GRASSHOPPER CUP QUARTERS

Postby BarryG » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

Courtesy of England Squash and Racketball:

http://www.englandsquashandracketball.com/news/selby-storms-into-grasshopper-cup-quarters

Daryl Selby, England’s only representative in the $70,000 Grasshopper Cup in Zurich, upset the seedings in style yesterday by routing world no.11 Borja Golan to move into the quarter-finals.

The 32-year-old from Essex continued his recent impressive form by recording his second win over the seventh-seeded Spaniard in quick succession, following up a brutal 3/2 victory during the Canary Wharf Classic in March with a 3/0 success in Switzerland.

The world no.15 controlled proceedings from the start and after spending an agonising 216 minutes on court during the recent El Gouna International, he was relieved to complete the 13-11, 11-9, 11-5 win in 78 minutes.

“It’s massive to get a 3/0 win against Borja in the first round,” said Selby. “I had a tough tournament in Egypt last week and felt the effects against (Gregory) Gaultier in the quarters, so today was important for me, especially to try and give myself a better chance later in the week.

“I’ve been in good form recently and I want to finish the second half of the season strongly and carry that form all the way through to the end.

“I’m unseeded here and took a bit of a chance, as I knew whoever I got would be tough, but it paid off.

“In the last two weeks I’ve beaten the current world no.5 (Miguel Angel Rodriguez) and a former no.5 (Golan), so hopefully I can push on.”

Selby now meets Gaultier again in tomorrow’s quarter-finals.
Cheers!
BarryG
BarryG

Return to Squash Tournaments